Thank you to everyone who supported our team that went to Burundi! It was such an amazing experience!!! I'll post the last posts soon, because the Internet there got a little messed up so I couldn't post.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thursday + Friday, Camp #2

Thursday was a lot different than our first day of the other camp because we kind of knew what to expect. The kids in this camp were from age 18 to about age 27, compared to the other camp of ages 12 - 17.

We arrived like the other days to some worship, and we were then greeted and introduced to the kids. A lot of kids had cell phones and were taking video of us sometimes.

Tyler went up to do the same teaching about the Holy Spirit as he had done for the last camp. This time though, he had a different translator. I had heard about Gad from the Patch kids and they kept saying everything would work out better when he got here. And it did. Tyler loved teaching with him translating, and Gad was great at making it understandable for everyone.

Still recovering from sickness, I was up in the guest house for a lot of the day, so that was disappointing.

Doug, who was really awesome and stayed at our room while I was sick on Wednesday, planned out a skit that we did for the older kids. It was a story of a boy who turned away from the Lord, and it was a great example of how no matter how much you mess up, God can get us out of our mess. I wasn't a part of the skit, but I thought it was a really neat way to communicate without words to the kids.

We left the next day back to the Kings Conference Center in Bujumbura, and did a little souvenir shopping, and learned about the value of money. It was fun bargaining with the people at the market, and walking out of the shop to try and get them to lower the price of a painting from $50 to $15.

The trip home was a huge blur and I don't really remember anything until we got to Washington D.C.... I was exhausted, but happy when I saw that first Starbucks sign in the airport, and I got a Caramel White Mocha Frappuccino :)
We had 8 hours in D.C., so we took a shuttle to see all of the important buildings, to get ice cream, and walk around comparing the roads, people, and everything else to Burundi. It was way more humid than Burundi though, which was kinda ironic. Africa or USA, you'd think Africa was hotter, but it wasn't in our case.

When I got home around midnight of some day of the week, I enjoyed the ability to fine tune the temperature of the shower :)

No comments: